Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Laundry


                When most people enter college they have a list concerns. Will they be able to keep up with the work, will they make new friends, will the food be good etc. me on the other hand, my only concern was laundry. Up until college my mother had done my laundry for me. I didn’t have to worry about what should be dried and what shouldn’t. I didn’t have to worry about separating whites from colored. I didn’t have to worry about what should be folded and what should be ironed none of which was my concern. Most college students had done laundry in their day, but me on the other hand I was facing a whole new world when it came down to doing my laundry. As expected I had the worst experience with washing clothes. To my luck I ruined almost my whole wardrobe.

                The first time I went to wash my clothes I poured almost half a bottle of detergent in it. All of my clothes came out very sticky and gooey. I then attempted to dry it, big mistake, it took me almost 3 hours to get them semi-dry just to have to walk around all week smelling like I work at a laundromat with chunks of laundry detergent materializing in my pockets.

                The second time I went to do my laundry I was a little more confident. I now knew how much detergent to use so that I won’t make the same mistake twice. But this time I faced a whole new obstacle, I mixed my colors with my whites and big fluffy blue blanket now all of my white clothing are blue and fuzzy. I wanted to give up washing so bad. I was ready to pack my clothes up every weekend and take them home to my mom so that she could do them for me, but I decided to not give up yet and try one more time.

                This time before I went into the laundry room I had the exact amount of detergent needed, I had my clothes separated into two separate bags, one for white one for colored, I even had bleach to try to bring my white clothes back to life. I was ready I just knew that I will come out the laundry room victorious.

                After I finished washing all of my clothes I then put them in the dryer. Feeling great about my new accomplishment I decided to go get some snacks and watch tv until they were finish. When I returned someone decided to do me a great favor, they took my wet clothes out of the machine and laid them neatly across the table so that they can air dry but instead they now smell like mildew.

                I learned a great lesson so far in college, pay someone to do your laundry for you.
-Ayinah S.

No comments:

Post a Comment