Friday, September 18, 2015

Fun Times In Orchestra

Of my college experience thus far, I really enjoy the music program here at William Paterson. As a Music major (in my case, Classical Music Education), it's somewhat expected for you to get involved in music ensembles at college. Considering the fact that one of the many things William Paterson is known for is its Jazz Studies program, and that back at my high school I was in Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble, Marching Band, Indoor Drumline, and in Tri-M (Music Honors Society), I saw this as no challenge to me. Now, compared to most degrees, as a music major, you can get accepted from the college, but in order to get into the music program, you have to audition. I was able to get in, and during the first week of school, we had re-seating auditions (to see if anyone improved since their initial audition, this determines part placement), and besides Professor Davis (everyone calls him Doc, and he is the definition of a Southern Gentleman because he's from Alabama and is the nicest man I may have ever met) being at my re-seating audition, the orchestra director, Professor Dackow, was also there. I expressed to her my interest in joining the orchestra here at William Paterson because back at my high school, the Music Department and Strings Department never really got along, so I've always wanted to be in a legitimate orchestra.


Fast forward a few days to Concert Band where Doc was reading off the list of names for orchestra, and my name is called(signifying that I am now in Orchestra, in addition to Concert Band). After we were done playing, Doc sent out an email telling all of us to be in Room 101(same room as Concert Band) on Wednesday, at 7PM. I show up, and I recognize some friends of mine from concert band, and after some general rules from Professor Dackow, music is passed out. Now, for those that do not know, I play the trombone (THIS THING WITH THE SLIDE) and for the most part, anyone who plays low brass instruments will usually only see repertoire in the keys of Bb major ( 2 flats),  F major (1 flat), and Eb major (3 flats), for these three are the most common keys that composers write contemporary music in. I was expecting a piece with that in mind. 


I am instead treated to a piece called Nabucco, and it's in the key of A major (3 sharps). (Here's a link if you want to listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhd5kGM7dk). I collectively pull a WTF, as I have never been in an orchestra before, and was not expecting sharps at all. Thanks to my high school having an excellent music department and great teachers, I can play in most of the keys with relative ease, but it's not every day that you see pieces in sharp keys. I sightread through it(which is always the hardest part of playing a new piece) and at the end of rehearsal, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's something about orchestra that really gives you an appreciation for Bach, Mozart, Handel, and Beethoven that Concert Band simply cannot provide, because playing in Concert Band and playing in Orchestra are two completely different things. And I RELISH in it.




-Kimball, J.

No comments:

Post a Comment