Sunday, October 18, 2015

The site I chose was the food court in the student center at William Patterson University. I chose this site because  majority of the student body spend their free time in the student center including me. Students also seem to feel more comfortable there which means I will be able to conduct more successful interviews.Majority of theses students are commuters. The minority of these students are residential students. Residential students come to the food court to order food and take it to go, commuters choose to sit and eat with other commuters. I came to the conclusion that the student center food court is used for students to socialize, eat and study. I noticed that students would spend more time than necessary in the student center, even if they are no longer eating or studying they will sit there on there cell phone or there tablet. These students are usually separated into groups. For example separated by race, gender and age. They are also separated into social groups like sport teams, sororities and other clubs. I also noticed that these groups all have different food choices. Upper classman girls and girls that are in a sorority choose to eat salad, sushi and other healthy things. The boys on sport teams choose to eat unhealthy options such as pizza and cheese burgers. I then came to the conclusion that the student center is a place to socialize and spend time with your friends.
 My observations led me to a few initial questions. Why do students choose to spend there free time here? What percent of these students are commuters? How does race and social class play apart in grouping in the food court? What are these students interests? and last, Is socializing in the student center something students look forward too?
I participate in this culture on a daily basis. I eat at the food court twice a day and I also study there before classes. As a freshman I have yet to join any clubs or socialize with other students therefore I am there alone. I noticed that other friends do the same thing. So I wonder, is this a freshman thing? do freshman choose to eat alone because they have yet to make friends?
As of now I do not have a main focus, I will continue to participate in this culture to get a better understanding of socializing in the food court at the student center.

-Ayinah S



No comments:

Post a Comment